Netherland’s #1 Classifieds Site
A pioneer in online classifieds, Marktplaats was founded in Emmeloord. The idea was to recycle castoffs and help customers find things they needed at reasonable prices. People loved the friendly community focus, and Marktplaats soon became the most popular e-commerce site in the Netherlands.
In 2004, Marktplaats joined eBay. With millions of items listed for sale, it is the Netherlands’ favorite online source for just about anything you could possibly need or want — new or second-hand, from cars and household goods to houses, services, jobs, bicycles, boats and pets.
Members of the Marktplaats community share a neighborly spirit and know they can find smart deals close to home on items they want to buy, sell or simply give away.
Available on mobile:
At a Glance
- > Most popular online classifieds site in the Netherlands – reaches 74 percent of the Dutch online population
- > High degree of “stickiness” – over 20 page views per visit
- > More than 350,000 new ads daily (equivalent of almost 4 ads per second)
- > Attracts close to 6.5 million unique visitors monthly and has close to 8 million total live listings
- > 2.2 billion page views per month
- > One of the top five strongest brands in the Netherlands
- > Founded 1999 in Emmeloord, the Netherlands
- > Became the leading Dutch e-commerce site
- > Acquired by eBay in 2004